Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 16, 2008

Can it possibly be Friday again? These weeks are going by way too fast (we all have too much to do at this time of year!) But all of your efforts are paying off in such neat ways.

This past Saturday, we held our 4th annual Top of Ohio 5K Run/Walk. What a great event! The weather was perfect—we had a beautiful day sandwiched in between two cold, rainy days. We also had a record turnout—103 runners/walkers last I heard. I couldn’t run because I had to be the starter and give medals at the finish (oh darn), but it was really fun to see so many of our staff and community members come across the finish line. I even had an Urbana City Schools staff member stop me as she came across the finish line to tell me how great our programs are for her students! This event is a fundraiser for our scholarship fund; and while I haven’t heard the final tally yet, I know the amount raised will top previous years and assist many of our students in pursuing higher education. Thanks to Shane Haggerty for heading up the organization of the event, and thanks to the many staff members (and adult education students!) who volunteered or participated to help make it a success!

Tuesday morning I attended the ProjectSEARCH Recognition Breakfast at Logan Acres. This is one of the most gratifying events I attend all year. These young adults with disabilities spend a year polishing their employability skills and learning valuable job skills, and it was a delight to hear each of them share what they had learned, what their strengths are, and what their plans are for the future. This program is a partnership among several community partners, and the commitment was very apparent as evidenced by those in attendance from Logan Co. MRDD, BVR, Logan Co. Commissioners, Logan Acres, our partner schools, our own staff, and of course parents and other supporters. Many thanks to Mary Jo Alstaetter who is the passion behind this program, and Barb Culp, her committed and enthusiastic aide. The young folks completing this program will no doubt become a valuable asset in our communities.

Wednesday evening our Animal Technology and Professional Turf and Landscaping Programs held their annual honors banquet. It’s always a nice evening, and the scope of awards presented never fails to impress me. The students “run the show” at this banquet and do a terrific job! Many thanks to the students and their instructors, Robin Curley and Cole Carpenter, for such a great event and for your work with these great students all year!

I serve on the Board of Directors for the Graham Digital Academy, and Thursday evening I attended their Annual Honors Ceremony. These are students who, for whatever reason, choose an alternative form of education. The GDA serves students in grades K-12, and they’re an amazing group of students. I was especially proud to hear that two of their graduating seniors have completed one of our programs—one in Aviation Occupations and one in Biotechnology. This is a perfect example of collaboration to serve the unique needs of students, and I appreciate the partnership with GDA. Thanks to Frank Drain, Aviation teacher, and Cheryl Hess, Biotechnology teacher, for your support of these students and for bringing their dreams to life!

I’m tempted to whine a little about the weather not being as warm and sunny as I’d like for mid-May; but when I consider the suffering of those around the world who are enduring hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, and wildfires, I realize how very fortunate we are. Enjoy your cool, cloudy weekend!