Friday, May 30, 2008

It occurred to me as I started this message that in last Friday’s TGIF posting I said last week was the last Friday in May. Oops! That would be today! (Surprised no one corrected me on that—you must all be as dazed and confused as I am at this hectic time of year!) But this really is the last Friday in May and it wraps up an absolutely wonderful week at Ohio Hi-Point.

The highlight of the week was Wednesday with our Senior Awards Breakfast and our Convocation. These are two great events that really wrap up the high-school year and put a nice bow on it, reminding us of why we come to work every day—student achievement! It was kind of hard to focus in my office during the middle of the day as the Seniors went through Convocation rehearsal up on the hill—I could sense the anticipation and I was really excited for them. And, while I know I’m just a little biased, I really believe our Convocation ceremony gets more beautiful and more touching every year! I’m not the only one who was impressed; here are some comments I received by e-mail from others:

To each of you and the faculty, I'd like to commend you for an excellent Convocation last evening. It appeared to be the biggest I can remember. What a beautiful setting and evening! The graduates, the faculty, the families and friends, and the press made it a memorable evening. We have a great deal to be proud of and are grateful for each of you as board members. Thank you for all your efforts and leadership. Please pass along.
Anne Reames, OHP Board President (Bellefontaine)

The Convocation last night was again a replica of the top-notch dedication the staff and administration has to provide a setting for the students and parents that they will remember for a lifetime. The program was excellent and the facilities looked great. Please pass along my appreciation for their efforts.
Bill Ramsey, OHP Board Vice President (Benjamin Logan)

What a wonderful ceremony last night!!! I heard some of your staff say it was the best one yet! I am so sorry I haven't attended before now, and I am so glad I went last night. Great job!
Nancy Wood-Allison, Superintendent (Upper Scioto Valley)

I’ve included a photo of the procession from the Peak of Ohio at the right. To see the other great photos from the event, visit our website at www.ohiohipoint.com. I can’t begin to thank all the individuals who had a hand in making this Convocation so lovely; but please know that I realize it takes a tremendous team effort; and you can take satisfaction knowing that your work means a great deal to me, our Board, our community, and most importantly our students!

I also received some high praise late last week from partner school staff for three of our staff members who went above and beyond to help one of our students reach success:

I would like to let you know how much help 3 of your employees were to our school. We had a student who did not pass the Social Studies OGT. Through the process of informing students of scores and checking to see if (this student) qualified under the alternative pathway for graduation, three of your employees were very helpful. These are Shelly Swaney (Instructional Supervisor), Lynne Hall (Guidance Counselor), and Darlene Roll (Intervention Aide). I would like you to know how much these ladies did to help us out.
Thank you,
Craig M. Hurley, Principal (Upper Scioto Valley)

I appreciate Craig sharing, and I hope these three ladies realize the impact they’ve had on this student’s life. Thank you!

Sometimes our students don’t reach success along the path we would like, but I firmly believe we “plant a seed” for success within every student we serve! One perfect example was shared with me by Dave Marsteller, our Carpentry Teacher. He received this e-mail from one of his former students. (Note: I've omitted the student’s name and have not corrected for spelling or grammar!)

Hey Mr. Marsteller, well I lied on your voice mail im writing you now. But that's cool I hope. Anyways like I said I never knew you sent me a letter. Right now I'm on a 3 day home visit and I'm helping my mom clean and I found your letter. I was totally shocked. Thank you for writing me. Well I was in JDC for 4 months then they decided to send me to Xenia- Miami Valley Juvenile Rehabilitation Center. I've been there since January 25th. I've got 40 some days left and ill be done. I've gotten the opportunity to graduate. I had to double up on my school work, but now i get my diploma in 9 days!!!! Well yesterday on my way home i passed the house. Man you guys are doing a GREAT job on that house. I love the brick it looks awesome. But hey i want you to know I'm not giving up on my dream to become a carpenter! Im 18 now and I'm going to be a graduate soon and I'm going to talk to the superintendent and hopefully he will let me come to do night classes with you! I'm DETERMINED!!! Its my dream and I'm going to fulfill it. So hopefully you could put in a good word with him if he happens to ask about me. I'm sorry i basically bailed on you. I made a really big mistake but im not letting that hold me back. So i just wanted to tell you thank you so much for writing me and you may write me were im at if you would like.

Dave has to feel good about the impact he had on this young man, and I think the fact that this student reached out to communicate with Dave reflects the respect he has for Dave as a teacher and mentor. Dave, I think this young man is going to make it! Thanks for the crucial role you played in his life.

While I’m on the topic of achievement, I have another staff achievement to share! I received this e-mail from Susie Knox, Practical Nursing Instructor and our resident running coach:

I did not know if you were aware that Mary Jo Alstaetter (ProjectSEARCH Teacher) walked the Cleveland Rock and Roll Half Marathon this past Sunday (13.1 miles). I think she should be acknowledged for this accomplishment. Mary Jo is pumped up and signing up for two more! I am trying to encourage other staff to follow in her footsteps, particularly two of my Get Fit for Life team members that have done a super job moving toward a healthier weight. Our team is leading the weight loss challenge going into the final weigh-in; we had lost a total of 71 pounds between us with our Monday weigh-in. We were never mentioned early on as we did it slow and steady, but we have persisted.

Mary Jo agreed to let me share this so long as I encouraged others to get active too. Thanks, Mary Jo, for being such an inspiration—and best wishes in the other events you’ll be walking in!

I also want to congratulate all of you who have participated in our “Biggest Loser” contest. Winning is great; but whether you were the “biggest” loser or not, if you reached a goal or are off to a good start, that’s what counts. Keep it up!

This will be my last TGIF for the year, as most of our staff will be off enjoying their summers, participating in professional development, taking classes, or just recharging batteries! My heartfelt thanks to all of our staff for another wonderful year and for all you do for our students! Have a wonderful summer, be safe traveling, and I’ll see you back here in the fall!