Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009

Today marks an anniversary many of us would rather forget. I’m sure many of you, like I, will pause each time you write or think about today’s date to reflect on the horrific events of eight years ago. It was a day that changed us as a country forever—and maybe even as individuals. I know I lost some sense of being invincible as an American and feeling immune from the terrors we heard about around the world. We’ve endured some of the inconveniences of additional security measures that other countries have lived with for decades. And yet it was also the beginning of a new era of patriotism and pride in knowing that we as Americans stood to lose so much because we have so much. I hope we never forget that. We all join together this Patriot Day to honor those who lost their lives and to remember the families and loved ones who miss them still.

Along the lines of being thankful, JoAnn Ventresco (English teacher at Bellefontaine Campus) has shared with me that her English students have been writing essays on what the “American Dream” means to them. JoAnn shared the following (and we did not correct for grammar or punctuation—she’s working on that!):

The more I read the more I am just blown away by the minds and talent I have in my classroom this year. I keep telling my juniors they are too quiet, but clearly they have a lot to say! Look at this one, written by AN ELEVENTH GRADER:

As Thomas Wolfe once said, "…to every man, regardless of his birth, his shining, golden opportunity ….the right to live, to work, to be himself, and to become whatever thing his manhood and his vision can combine to make him...", I think this is the true "American Dream", The things in which people should focus on now in these times of life, Instead of just trying to have the best... Be happy with what’s given to you and make something of it on your own. When you have accomplished this task in life you will understand what the "American Dream" is and you will be able to say you felt something that no man nor woman could feel by just being rich or having the best house nor car...

Another student wrote:

Luckily living in America gives us the opportunity to follow through with a lot of the dreams that we have. Personally my dream is to work in the Health Care field. By living and growing up in the united states i have been handed multiple options to take advantage of in order to succeed in the Health Care Field. For example coming to Hi Point. I plan to continue on living my American dream until I feel content with my life.

Our students do great work—and they’re able to do so because of the great work out staff does with them. I’ve often said I hear great news about OHP from some of the most unlikely place! Carrie Preston, Special Education teacher on our Bellefontaine Campus, shared the following amazing story with me:

I just thought you'd like to know that OHP has a good reputation, all the way to Indiana! I recently caught up with a childhood friend of mine, who lives there. When I told her what I do for a living this was her response: "Some of my friends have kids going to Hi-Point. They are thrilled with it and felt like the move to Hi-Point was EXACTLY the right plan, and frankly, the better option. I mean, they are thrilled! So whatever you and your staff are doing...big props to you!"

Yep—big props to all of you! Thanks to JoAnn and Carrie for sharing so we can all enjoy.

We continued a tradition on Wednesday and recognized Dr. Earl Sloan’s birthday (which is actually September 8) by having our students and staff pay tribute to the contributions his trust has made to our labs through state-of-the-art equipment. Two of our high-school students and three adult education students shared their thanks with representatives of our Sloan Trustees. I know it’s been said that teenagers tend to be self-absorbed ingrates (and I was probably guilty of that at that age!) But I can honestly say that our high-school students were equally as sincere and eloquent in their words as the adult students as they thanked the Trustees. How neat it was to hear all those students describe the specific impact the Sloan-sponsored equipment has had on their training and their future plans. I want to thank the staff who were present to personally thank the Trustees and particularly those who spoke. I know Mr. Marker and Mrs. Reynolds very much enjoyed the birthday party! (A photo of the student speakers, Mr. Harold Marker, and Mrs. Connie Reynolds is shown at right.)

Have a great weekend and enjoy every bit of this wonderful, outdoor weather while we can!