Thursday, October 25, 2007

TGIF October 26

Welcome to another Friday! It’s amazing that we’re looking at Thanksgiving just around the corner (and don’t even ask me how many shopping days there are until Christmas!) This is my second week putting my TGIF message into a blog, and I thank you for taking time to read it. Shane Haggerty, Communications Coordinator, told me that when he started his blog and told staff no one showed much interest; but I launched my blog and now everyone wants to blog. I told him not to take it personally—it’s most likely that people thought, “If Kim can do it, how hard can it be?!?”

This past summer, I attended a technology conference in Boston with several of our staff members and it was excellent. One of the ideas I brought back (OK, I stole it) from another district was the concept of an Administrative Technology Academy. I really felt convicted that if our administrators are going to be the “lead learners” in integrating technology into our classrooms and district work processes, we needed to become fluent in today’s technology. Tracy Franck, Assistant Technology Coordinator, very graciously worked with me to put together a syllabus of monthly sessions from October through May including such topics as virtual conferences, 21st Century digital literacy, anytime/anywhere learning, digital imagery, podcasting, social networking, and effective web searching. Our sessions will include hands-on activities, reading assignments, and homework!! (I’m sure some of our students would consider that poetic justice!) We had our first session this past Tuesday and Tracy had us visit the virtual K-12 Online Conference. We’re excited about the skills we’ll be mastering and look forward to demonstrating and using them in our work!

Nila Marquard, High-School Director, Julia Chiles, Adult Ed. Supervisor, and I attended a hearing with the Ohio Department of Education on Thursday to learn about the latest draft of the Perkins IV State Plan (which will drive our federal funding). The plan is not in its final draft, but the Department is seeking input from people in the field as they finalize our state plan. It’s too soon to say exactly how the plan will be written or implemented, but I can tell you that there is a very concerted emphasis on higher standards for all students, all programs being held to Tech Prep outcomes (not entrance requirements), guiding more students to postsecondary education, and reduction in remedial coursework at the postsecondary level. Positive Post-Program Placement at both the high school and adult levels is also still a key performance measure. In addition, at the high school level, OGT passage and technical skill assessment passage (currently OCTCA) will be measures which will result in financial sanctions if unmet for three years. I don’t tell you this to worry you—we’re doing a terrific job on our performance measures and will continue with our targeted improvement efforts. But we need to stay mindful of the importance of our performance data and the impact on our district and students. Keep up the good work!

Mike Kouse, Electronics Technology teacher, shared with me on Thursday an invitation he received to attend a former student’s graduation from DeVry University with a bachelor’s degree in engineering. Mike told me this is a student who was told that he wouldn’t be able to go to college if he attended Ohio Hi-Point. Our numbers of alumni completing two- and four-year degrees is growing, as well as those completing other post-secondary training, and we’re happy to debunk the myth that career-technical students can’t or don’t go on to higher education. Thanks, Mike, for sharing!

Earlier this week, Mary Jo Alstaetter, ProjectSEARCH teacher, shared with me the following update on her students and their job rotations at Logan Acres:

Today, the students begin their second rotation. They have mixed emotions about leaving the security of the support group each developed in the first rotation . . . I've learned you can't make someone accept our students. The students are usually the ones who win the staff members over. It's all about transition. Yesterday, I took the opportunity to thank a staff member for working with one of our students . . . She said, "Once I started to accept the fact that this student would be here for two months, my attitude changed. I will never look at people with disabilities with such a negative attitude. Being around this group of students has changed the way I look at life." Now, who am I teaching--the Project SEARCH students or the staff? Just don't ask me to write lesson plans for teaching the staff!!!

Mary Jo, I’d say you and your students are teaching a lot of people valuable lessons about the abilities and value that every person has, and I thank you for the work you’ve done in launching and growing this tremendous program!

Are you checking out our website lately? Shane Haggerty, Communications Coordinator, is doing an awesome job of keeping information up to date and sharing the latest happenings at Ohio Hi-Point. There’s new content nearly every day—so make it a habit to visit www.ohiohipoint.com!

Have a great weekend!